Here's the pattern:
The style is amazing, but because the smallest size is a 10, and I usually start with a 6, I had to do a gazillion alterations to get it to fit properly! I was not happy with the hoops I had to jump through to make this top fit me and am thinking that I should have just graded it down to a 6 first. Instead, I adjusted as I went along. Lesson learned.
If you look at the front of the pattern envelope, you will see that the style is very low cut and has a lot of gaping going on! I didn't want a top like that!
To raise the neckline, I redrew the front neckline, several times.
To get rid of the gaping, I pinched out around a half inch from the neckline. But that wasn't enough, as I still had some gaping. This could be due to the way that I sew. Not sure.
I also wanted cut in shoulders, and did that adjustment freehand. I had to re-sew it several times to get it to what I envisioned. But finally . . . success! I'm glad I didn't give up!
When I cut the front bodice pieces, I didn't follow the grain marked on the pattern. If I had, the front neckline would have been cut on the bias. Bias stretches. Definitely not good for a wrap top! What I did instead was to cut the front piece with the front neckline on the grain. This way, the front neckline would not be stretching on me.
Maybe because of the way that I cut the front pieces, the princess seams looked off. I had to re-sew them several times to get them to look alright when I tried the top on. When I sew, I make adjustments along the way by trying on what I'm making after I sew each major part. I did finally get the princess seams right.
(Edited to add on 9-25-18 - I looked at the picture on the pattern envelope again. This time I looked more closely and saw that the princess seam is on the side of the bust point, not over it. The way it looks on the pattern envelope is the way it looked on my top before I fixed it. It looks like the draft was a little off.)
I did, though, make a major mistake on this. I sewed the tie on the wrong side, so the shorter peplum is on top when it should have been on the bottom. My mistake looked alright to me, so I left it.
What I love about this style, and this might not be apparent to anyone looking at the top itself, or even the line drawings, but the tie is sewn in at the side and bottom edges of the bodice. It's not just a tie floating loose. It's a part of the bodice. It's actually secured to the bodice, and I love it!!! The tie also has a little horizontal pleat sewn into it, to keep the pleat from disappearing. It's ingenious!
There's nothing left to chance with this style. Everything is set. I don't have to carefully tie it just right to get the very flattering pleats to show because the pleats are sewn in and when I pull it to tie it, the pleats are accentuated. If I tie the tie a hundred times, I'll still get the flattering pleats just right. I love it!
I am happy with the top that I ended up with, but I worked out the bugs of this pattern sewing this top, so it's not as neat as it could have been on the inside. Wrap tops are usually easy for me to sew and fit, and I usually don't bother with muslins for them. But that was not the case with this one. I didn't start out with this being my muslin, but with all of the changes that I had to make, midway through I started thinking of this as a muslin. I am obsessed with quality and sewing my best, and now that I know what I have to change, I want to sew this again!
This top took 2 1/2 yards of a navy blue cotton with small silver anchors on it. I think the print looks neat and clean, but what I really love about this fabric are the colors. The rich navy background with shiny silver anchors neatly and orderly scattered on it. I like navy and shiny silver, and find the colors striking.
Happy with this top, but it's not my best!
Be back with piece 3 of my sewcation shortly.